Inspiring Young Writers~Readers~Artists
Write Today! Write every day. I Love To Write Today Yesterday And Every Day.
My pink desk sits in our large family room and is full of post-it notes and notebooks crammed with tons of scribbled thoughts. If I could write 24/7 my mind might be able to sift through all the continual ideas for poems and stories that race around in my head waiting to make sense on paper.
While looking at my desk today, I decided I should make the top look more presentable. Clean up all the loose writings and place them in my filing cabinet. Put the highlighters, colored pencils and loose pens back in place. My idea was that the grandkids needed to see a clean and neat work area. In other words, put every paper away so that all they see when they are here is a desk with a computer and lights.
As I began the task of making my pink desk picture perfect worthy, I saw a Poem Book written and illustrated by one of our eleven year old granddaughters that she wanted me to keep by my poems. Then I looked around at artwork by our kids and grandkids that they wanted to leave around my work space. There was a couple of notebooks with stories and drawings a few of them had left to be stacked with my notebooks.
It’s true I could be neater, but I’m proud to think they gathered inspiration from my scattered thoughts.
How can we help them become better writers, readers and artists?
- Have plenty of notebooks and pens available and encourage them to write their daily thoughts, stories and ideas down.
- Have crayons, markers, colored pencils, chalk and paints ready for the young artist.
- Be available to sit down in a quiet area to let them read their poems and book ideas to you.
- Display their stories and artwork.
- Praise and encourage them to write, read and draw
- Start a home library and set aside reading time.
- Have books sitting around to discuss what you like about the characters and their adventures.
- Let them see you writing every day!
November 15 is National I LOVE TO WRITE DAY-Yay! I have loved writing and reading and hope you have too! From all of us here in Watertown, Tennessee on New O’Hana Farm, TN enjoy writing or read a book you love!